Action Alert: House to Vote on McCaul Border Bill Next Week!
Call Your Representatives and Urge Them to Oppose!House GOP leaders are working at a break-neck speed to get what they are calling the “toughest border security bill ever” to the House floor next week. House Homeland Security Chairman Mike McCaul (R-TX) introduced the bill, H.R. 399, last Friday and House leadership announced plans to bring it to the floor next week!The bill, H.R. 399, gives the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) five years to achieve operational control of the U.S.-Mexico border and imposes certain penalties if it fails to do so. It also:
- Requires that DHS place specific resources in each border sector along the Northern and Southern borders, but then allows Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to alter the plan if “border security threats” so require;
- Requires DHS to construct hundreds of miles of roads, including roads for private land owners;
- Requires DHS to construct and heavily man “forward operating bases,” near the border—a practice to which the Border Patrol Union strongly objects and has called “an enormous waste of taxpayer money”;
- Gives DHS another seven years to implement a biometric exit system—a mandate that has already been in federal law for over a decade;
- Requires Border Patrol Agents be given access to federal lands along the U.S.-Mexico border; and
- Creates a new Border Security Verification Commission to certify whether DHS has achieved operational control of the border.
< Previous Article Where’s Waldo?
Next Article > Website on Immigrant’s Share of Population Increase