FAIR Alert: Senate Votes TODAY on Amnesty Bill
After weeks of backroom deals and procedural maneuvering, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s rush to pass the 1,200 page Senate amnesty bill comes to a close TODAY! FAIR’s sources say they expect a final vote to end all debate on the legislation today at 11:30 a.m. If that vote passes, then a final vote on the bill is expected at 2 p.m. Call your Senators NOW and tell them to vote against S.744:1. Vote NO to the motion to end debate on the bill and2. Vote NO on final passage.The Senate already passed the Corker-Hoeven amendment to the bill earlier this week that added $38 billion in special interest carve-outs to secure votes of on-the-fence Senators. These include:
- A carve-out for Alaska Sens. Lisa Murkowski (R) and Mark Begich (D) that classifies seafood processing positions in Alaska as “shortage occupations,” thus allowing the industry to bring in more cheap foreign labor to do those jobs. It also allows employers to bring in non-immigrants under a summer program to work in seafood processing positions.
- A carve-out for Sens. Susan Collins (R-ME) and Jon Tester (D-MT) that eliminates a requirement that at least 90% of funding for a law-enforcement program along U.S. borders be devoted to the southwest border, freeing up more money for Northern border states.
- A carve-out for Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) that creates a slush “Youth Jobs Fund” for FY 2014-2015 using $1.5B from U.S. Treasury. Until the kickback, Sen. Sanders was an outspoken critic of the bill for taking jobs away from Americans.
- “Amnesty” is NOT immigration reform.
- Amnesty undermines the rule of law and is inherently unfair to millions of legal immigrants who followed the rules and waited their turn in line.
- The Gang of Eight amnesty bill hurts American workers.
- It adds to the labor market millions of illegal aliens AND guest workers who will unfairly compete with American workers and drive down wages.
- You want the government to keep its promises to enforce the law, both at the borders and across the country.
- You demand that Congress restore integrity and common sense to our immigration system, not sell out to special interests.
< Previous Article Theater of the Absurd on the Senate Floor