Jobs At FAIR
Government Relations Counsel /
Government Relations Associate
Reports to: Director of Government Relations
Job Summary: FAIR, a national non-profit that advocates for enforcing our immigration laws and protecting American workers, is seeking a candidate for the Government Relations Department. This professional position is responsible for furthering FAIR's legislative agenda by representing the organization's interests before Congress, Executive Branch officials, and in coalition meetings. Responsibilities include: identifying, tracking, and analyzing legislative developments; monitoring Congressional committees; direct lobbying; drafting reports and fact sheets; obtaining legislative and political information; and otherwise helping to facilitate the advocacy work of FAIR's Government Relations Department.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with members of Congress and their staff, federal agency personnel, and coalition members. Assist Congressional offices in the drafting of legislation, amendments, and talking points.
- Take a proactive role in developing and completing complex research projects and writing assignments.
- Identify, track, and analyze federal legislation and regulations. Monitor and report on Congressional committee activities and hearings.
- Contribute to, and aid in the development of, substantive materials for FAIR's website and blog, including legislative summaries and weekly updates, grassroots alerts, and fact sheets.
- Assist the Government Relations Director in overseeing the placement and dissemination of the department's work product. Attend meetings and events on behalf of the Government Relations Director when needed.
- Work closely with FAIR's Field Representatives to inform activists and supporters of legislative developments.
- Coordinate and work on projects with other departments as needed.
- Be a committed and effective advocate for all FAIR's programs and objectives.
- Government Relations Counsel: law degree with at least one year of legal experience, preferably in a legislative office or policy capacity, including Capitol Hill internship. Previous immigration experience preferred.
- Government Relations Associate: At least one year of experience on Capitol Hill or policy organization. Experience handling Judiciary and/or Homeland Security portfolio, especially immigration, preferred.
- Excellent writing and analytical skills; the ability to draft professional materials for targeted audiences is essential.
- Superb interpersonal and communication skills, especially the ability to explain complex policy issues in plain language.
- Professional judgment in all aspects of one's work; the ability to set priorities, work independently, and produce professional materials of the highest quality in a fast-paced environment.
- Familiarity with the legislative process and grassroots activism.
- Strong commitment to FAIR's mission and the ability to quickly gain understanding and knowledge of issues impacting immigration law or policy.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Applicants for any positions should send a resume and writing sample to:
25 Massachusetts Ave, N.W., Suite 330
Washington, DC 20001
Fax: (202) 387-3447
Email: Jen Harris
For general questions, please call 202-328-7004 or toll free at 1-877-627-3247.
Please note: unless specified otherwise, all positions listed above are in the Washington, DC headquarters office.
Updated July 2015