Jobs At FAIR
Title: Communications Assistant
Reports to: Communications Director
Position Summary: As a key member of the FAIR’s Media team, this position is responsible for ensuring that the public relations, media and communications strategy goals are carried out.
WORKING RELATIONSHIPS: Works directly with the Communications Director, the President, senior staff, and members of the media.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Primary contact for all media inquiries and determines who will respond. In many instance, the Communications Assistant will respond directly acting as an authorized organizational public and media spokesperson.
- Organizes and maintains media databases.
- Writes and edits weekly Immigration Updates sent to targeted members of the media.
- Provides research data on request and assists in writing press releases, opinion pieces and blogs.
- Evaluates and maintains all Media Department vendor relationships.
- Engages the public via social media techniques.
- Keeps abreast of all trends in the field.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- University graduate in business, marketing, communications or an equivalent combination of education, training and expertise.
- Individual must possess a minimum of 3 years combined communications experience.
- Experience must include strategic planning, communications planning and management, marketing and media relations.
- Must be able to work well under pressure and respond to numerous media outlets timely and effectively.
- Must be self starter with the ability to handle multiple priorities.
- Knowledge of immigration issues and policies desired.
Individual must be a strong communicator, have excellent written, presentation, oral communications and interpersonal skills. Individual must possess strong leadership skills, and ability to motivate and influence others. Individual must be able to think creatively and strategically, have excellent judgment, and be able to work in a changing environment.
Applicants for any positions should send a resume and writing sample to:
25 Massachusetts Ave, N.W., Suite 330
Washington, DC 20001
Fax: (202) 387-3447
Email: Jen Harris
For general questions, please call 202-328-7004 or toll free at 1-877-627-3247.
Please note: unless specified otherwise, all positions listed above are in the Washington, DC headquarters office.
Updated April 2014